Friday, August 23, 2013

Santorini, Greece - 7 nights

By far this is my favourite island of Greece. This place is less happening like Mykonos but still full of tourists in the summer. I have noticed majority of the tourist here are Italians & Australians. Feels like home here! 

The endless traditional houses in Santorini blows my heart away. It is so stunning. I can't get enough of it. One day I would love to come back and stay in those sea view hotels. Jas and I made a pack, we would sell our houses in Melbourne and come to Santorini to retire. Only if it looks like we would die single though. lol

My routine is pretty relaxed here. I would go with the flow all day but when it comes to 7pm, you would find me hanging out at a new spot to catch the Grecian sunset. It's amazing and beautiful. I can't believe we all share the sun with but yet it's a different view everywhere.  

Day 27

We departed for Santorini from the port of Paros. I think Jas' tour mates is beginning to wonder why I appear so frequent. Once again I made my own way to their hotel. The electricity has blown up in Santorini the past few days. A navel ship is supplying electricity to the island. Each part of the island is receiving electricity in drips & drapes. The power could go out any minute. We made sure we used it wisely as soon as the electricity came on.

Jas decided to take the night off her tour and spend it with me. How lovely is she. As per usual, we would start off with our comfortable anit-social moments. Busying ourselves on our phone with a few words shared here and there. 

Time is flying! One of us needed to make a stance and get the other ass up. If anyone knew us, we are yet another worse combination. When we're together no decisions are ever made. We were suppose to head to town for dinner but somehow found ourselves up the edge of the hill. The sun was beginning to set. Dinner can wait. 




We opted to walk into a beautiful resort to catch the sunset. Worse comes to worse, we will just get thrown out. To our surprise nobody stopped us at reception and so we continued. It was beautiful and this could be because of the company too. A cocktail was much needed to compliment this sunset. We sat down and pretended to be one of those hotel guest. 



We expected it to be the most expensive cocktail we would ever have however the price was decent. A mojito for me & a vodka sunrise for her. Perfect combination to watch our first Santorini sunset. BAM! The power is out. It made the moment even more special. Before we knew it the sun is gone, it drops quite fast. We waited till it was pitch dark to head out for our feast. 

It was 9:30pm and judging by our personality, it would be sunrise before we decide on a restaurant. We made a decision to some at the first restaurant we see and only with one condition, it needed to provide wifi. 

Cesare it was. We headed up to the rooftop.  I was so excited becaus sit was the first time out of my whole Greece conquer I could order food for more than one. I have been wanting to eat saganaki & seafood for a very long time. We chose the seafood platter for two, saganaki, greek salad and a 0.5litre of house wine. 



I have noticed the Greeks eat there salad as an apetitizer, where back at home a salad would be a compliment to the main. My eyes open wide when the saganaki came out, finally!! In no time I stuffed my face with it. yummmmmm!  Greek Salad and Seafood comes out, another scream of yummmmmm! I thanked Jas for taking the time out to satisfied my belly. The night was perfect and how to end it, a coffee! We ordered a frappe and my gosh, the best frappe I have had in Greece. We even went back to it the next night to order ourselves a take away coffee. 

Time flies when you are seriously having fun. It was 1am and we needed to hit the Sack. Jas has to get up early for her silly tour. 

By far one of my favourite nights in Greece. 

Day 28

I am staying in a hotel and no a hostel. What am I going to do? I will surely make the most out of it. Sleep it and lay by the pool. The electricity was out in the morning and I could hear Jas complain. The water won't run when there is no electricity, therefore no shower or washing teeth. Sorry Jas. By the time I woke up the electricity was back. I made sure I used it wisely, cleaned  and wified myself up. 

Next I went hunting for my daily dose of coffee and laid by the pool. After a few hours a nap was called for. Jas was back from the hot springs and the electricity went out again, no shower for her again. This time she had stains of mud. She couldn't handle it anymore and jumped right into the pool to clean. #firstworldproblem. She headed out for dinner and I made myself a queen in the room. 

I met her up at the city Centrd at 10:30pm and we decided to fish spa ourselves. We didn't want to because we both were ticklish but decided it would be an awesome experienced together. There was still one more thing we needed to do, eat at Lucky's otherwise we will never hear the end of it from the Batsakis. He has been going on for years that this place was the best and we needed to eat there.



It was our last night together. She has come to many of my goodbye drinks but it never felt the end but tonight if did. We were knackered ad decided to head back to the hotel to chill and talk. We did our best with our final hours, being anti-social and exchanging words together. It was 3am and we suggested to catch the sunset. It was a crazy idea but we both agreed to it. 

5am and Jas' belly was screaming it wanted food. We put on a jacket and headed to town to see what would be open. Nothing but a bakery was open and it was busy. Fresh pastries was coming out of the kitchen. With our savoury pastry we made our way back and the a hint of brightness from the sky was coming through. The sky was beautiful. We made out way to the balcony and played 'guess where the yolk will rise from". We both guessed correctly. 




Words cannot describe but this day I have had was amazing. The company, the surroundings and the food. It was simple but just enough to make me happy. 8am and we opted for a 3 hour nap before we start our day. In a blink of an eye, Jas was walking me out. I for one hate goodbyes. The hug was tight and I couldn't help out to sneak a little kiss on the cheek. I will dreadfully miss her. I have said it to her many times but she was the best thing that came into my life in the last year. The more I got to know her, the more alike and common we were. HEART you!



Day 29

I made my way up north of Santorini, Oia. They say Oia's sunset is number one in the world. I decided to stay at this hostel for two nights. OMG! The buildings stretched along the side of the hill was picture perfect. It looks exactly like all the professional photos I have seen on Santorini but this time I was witnessing it with my own eyes. My heart is trying to find room with for all this beauty and for the beauty Europe is yet to bring me



7:30pm, I hurries to the sunset area. It was packed!! Everyone squashed up against each other. I was luckily doing this solo ad managed to find myself a spot on one of the wall and sat. LORD!! you have to be here to understand the feel it have me. The sunset was amazing. it was the sun and the sea, nothing blocking it at all. It gave hinges of pastel colour everytime it fell a little. The sun light shone straight at the calming sea. Beautiful !! 


By 8:06 the sun has fallen. The crowd cheered on and it sent shivers down my spine. I stayed for an extra half an hour and watched the sea of people leave in slow motion. 

I called it a night as I was living on three hours of sleep. 

Day 30

A new day, a new start. Firstly breakfast and coffee in my belly. I was tossing and turning whether to hit the public pool or the local beach. The pool was on accessible if you ordered a drink, I was told it wa roughly around €6. I am trying to stretch out my holiday as long as possible without having to work. I made the decision to beach it. 

It was a 20minute walk down hill. It was a to pebble beach and not a sandy one however the water was clear. Clear water beach are hard to find back at home. Our beaches and rivers are polluted with rubbish. 



I noticed people came and went. They stayed for about half an hour and left. I was trying to make the most of my island life and stationed myself for about 4 hours. The trek up hill was sweaty but it didn't bother me. I could picture most people complaining. I live out of a backpack that I need to carry everywhere. This is my life, I will embrace it and not complain a word. 


I was suppose to meet a few girls for dinner at a winery and to catch the sunset. A typical Calafati would usually get side tracked and lose focus on time. I was late and missed the bus. Whoops! Strangely, It didn't bothered me at all. The Calafati at home would usually get frustrated when running late. I have noticed a big difference in myself, nothing seemed to bother me at all. It has only been a month and I have mellowed down a lot. 

I made myself useful for the next four hours in Fira and then made my way back to the hostel. It was no 3am and a fellow drunken Aussie has sat right next to me. I can already sensed the vibe he wanted to chit chat, where at that moment all I wanted was Silence. I was right, there he was babbling about anything possible and the worse was his complaints about the cost of drinks.  Does he not know there are plenty of ways around to have a good night out? I assumed he was a young kid that had no clue. He was from Geelong and even complained about the drive to work. #FML I pulled myself out of tho situation and headed to bed.

Day 31

I made use of my last morning in Oia and decided to sit myself by the cliff for a while. The surrounding and breeze was amazing. I again never wanted to leave.  I took my time and made my way down to Karterados where I will be spending the next three nights.






This place was amazing, the room was spacious and it had a pool. It was ran by a Spanish guy. I met an Aussie couple, Simone and Liam. Who knew I would be spending my next two nights with them. They were good people and I was glad to have proper conversation with someone. It was hard at my earlier stays cause all people wanted to do was go drink their brains out. That's not me, I love drinks but in a enjoyable way. I am here in Europe to fall in love with is beauty and not wake up with a hangover.

More Aussies flocked by the pool and all they could talk about was the atv they rented. I had plans to tent one for the door but I couldn't last anymore. I needed one now. I jumped off my sunbed and went out searching for one. I have been worried about driving ad especially the opposite side they drive on. The guy allowed me to take a test drive and if I was comfortable I could take it. The guy even mentioned there was enough petrol for yep days. 

It was now mine for two days. OMG!! it was the best thrill ever. I know am slapping myself for not getting one from day 1. I was supposed to meet the guys back at the hostel for drink but it was my time as my holiday. I cruised, cruised and cruised. 




The engine sounded like it was gonna die, next I was stationed at a spot. The bike would not start. Trust Calafati to always catching herself in a bad situation. There was a male on his bike next to me and it looked like he was off on an adventure. I pretended to play with my phone 5 minute passed and hee had not move but his engine was on. I felt very odd. I hoped off the quad and headed to the main bus stop. I could see him heading up this way. He parked and got off. This is getting very strange. I could see on the tip of my eye he was watching me. I hurried up to the busy city centre and of course bought myself  gyros. I say for half an hour eating and thought I would go back to the bike and see if it would start. 

It would start and within 2 minutes I could see the male walking down from the bus stop towards me. Hr asked, ' What's wrong?'. I replied, it won't start. He tried to help me but with no success. I again felt a little odd and said 'Thank You for your help but you can go now' He didn't move. I said it again and still he wouldn't leave. I hopped off the bike and walked off. He walked with me. Here there was going to be another episode. 

It was now I decided to be inappropriate. I said, "Do I need to use the words FUCK OFF?!' He ignored and kept coming. I yellows out FUCK OFF like 5 times on a busy street and he would not stop. I noticed a hospital and ran straight in. He was outside waiting. I stayed in there for another 30minutes and made sure There was no sight of him before I left. I have decided to leave the quad there take the long route back to the hostel on a fast pace.

I told the above story to my fellow hostel mates. Liam was so kind and offered to come assess the quad for me. It has been at least an hour since I abandoned by bike. As we approached it, I pointed to Liam where my bike was. To my surprise the same guy was standing next to it. I would assume he is waiting for me to come back. As soon as he saw Liam he walked off. You would not believe it but I was out of fuel. The guy lied to me about the two days worth. We pushed the bike to a servo and filled it up. 

I feel greatful for the help I received  from Liam. I bought a pack of beer to thank everyone. By midnight lost has called it a night. I had it itchiness to cruise on the quad. One Sydney sider also hired a bike today and wanted to make the most of it. We wasted no time and hopped into our bikes. We cruised as much Santorini we could do. 4am and another good Santorini night. 

Day 32

It has been a whole month and now I finally was able to boil myself some eggs for breakfast. It was heaven. I decided to join the guys on a boat ride to the active volcano and mud hot springs. It was nice to have some company. 

We made it down all rode to town and trekked down to the port. the whole trail was full of donkey waste. It was an obstacle to avoid the mess down. We hopped on boat and headed towards the next island aka the active volcano. It was a 30 minute hike to the top and to our surprised it was just a massive island of rock. I expected bubbling lava. Tue best part was the trek. it was good for the belly of gyros. 



We moved onto the mud hot springs and I expected it to be about 40 degrees like the ones at home. I was wrong, it apparently only goes up to 25 degrees. The warmth in sea was due to the active volcano. The mud was like diarrhea. I couldn't wait to get out of the water. The highlight of this excursion would be the donkey ride back up to town. It was so much fun. I wish I could do it again. 



about 8 of us including the guy who runs the hostel headed to dinner together. It was like a massive feast with countless of food coming out. I ended up sharing a platter with a New Zealander but it got to the point where she was too much in my face. I later found out she was a 21 year old and everything made sense. 

We decided to continue the night by heading down south to Perissa. I think I got scammed on this atv. I was struggling to get up this incline on the way. Simone had to get off and push me up while running up the hill at the same time. I could not stop laughing. A whole new dimension on the island of Santorini down south. I wish I knew this exist. We made use if the beach front bars and had a few drinks. The Americans didn't want the night to end and opted for a skinny dip. Simone and I was like no way in hell we were joining them. It was a cold night and the thought of water scared us. 

We headed back and called it a night. Mind you it was already 4am in the morning.


Day 33


It was my last full day in Santorini and I needed to make the most out of it. I took a long cruise on the quad as I couldn't get enough of it. Landed myself in Perissa after an hour long cruise. The beach had black sand and crystal clear water. Here I made myself at home for the next few hours. My tummy was full but couldn't say no to one last freddo and gyros. I was lucky enough to make myself to the local areas where food was at a cheaper price and portion was bigger. 





Once the belly was overloaded, it was definitely time for one last cruise before I return the bike. I made myself up north of the island and stopped by Fira to purchase some last minute things. I have driven on this same route like ten times and I can never get enough of it. The drive up hill was so scenic and the ride down hill was fast.


I was meeting Marie and Roland for dinner in Oia. He made plans to buy me dinner in Santorini a while ago. I met Marie for the first time and she gave me a very warm accommodating first impression. Everyone at home has already mentioned to me that she is a lovely woman. I now think Roland is a lucky guy to have her. 


They made reservation at one of the restaurant that was recommended to them. Here we ate, drank and talked non stop. There was never a silent moment. They were half way into their travels and we all had countless stories to share. The best part of it, there was no work talk at all. It felt more like old friends catching up rather than colleagues. It was a quick dinner, as we wanted to make it back to their villa before the crowd flocks through for the daily Oia sunset.




I can't believe it! They were staying at the hotel that had the perfect sunset view on their balcony. I was showing them where I was standing for the sunset a few days ago. When you look up, you can see the sea of people squashed up. I felt like a Queen at this moment. I got a grand tour of their villa and was speechless. I can't compare anything with them from what I have stayed in so far. 


In no time, Roland pulls out another bottle of wine and we waited for the sun to set. Again, the conversation kept rolling and there seemed to be no space for breath. Marie showed me a bright star that was shining in the bright sky and Roland pulled out this special application to show me what it was. It was Venus! The star was the planet Venus. It may not be anything special but I was really WOWED! 




There seemed to be not enough time tonight. Time was flying and I almost lost track of time. I had to leave to catch the last bus back to my hostel. They both walked me to the bus stop and made sure I hopped on fine. This time another goodbye for who knows how long and its never great. I made a pit stop at one of the bakery to purchase one last Greek dessert, Baklava. 




I walked myself home from the main bus stop. It was midnight and to my surprise, guess who drove past? That creep, he was in the same clothes as the other night and he yelled out something to me. I quickly saw sight of two girls walking and ran across the road to them. At first it was hard to communicate with them as they were Greek. All I wanted to do was walk with them. After a while they figured what I wanted and we walked together. We tried to make conversation along the way and it ended up with hand gestures which was fun. 

We were heading into the same directions. We parted way and It was time for me to pack myself up as my Grecian days are now all over.


Next time you hear from me I will be in Spain.





xo


calafati





No comments: